Como dato curioso quiero resaltar que a algunos de lxs artistas les tocó crear el lettering en un idioma que no conocían, todo un reto pero también un incentivo para la imaginación.
Aunque aquí solo muestro 23 typos/palabras de los dichos, en total llegaron 38 dichos realizados en diversos letterings. Algunxs artistas crearon letterings para 4 dichos, otrxs 3, algunxs otrxs de 2 y la mayoria 1. Fueron 18 artistas lxs que se sumaron a este colectivo Sursystem que quiere traerles esta coleccion de dichos recolectados en NYC por medio de encuentros con muchxs inmigrantes.
Muchas gracias a todxs lxs que se sumaron a este colectivo efímero que tiene como único fin mostrar la diversidad cultural y lingüística de NYC.
Que disfruten!
For several months now, I have been working on producing Sursystem Magazine Issue 09: Immigrants’ Sayings from NYC —a project I launched in March 2025, though its origins go back much further and are deeply personal. So far, I have received over 38 hand-lettered sayings that will appear in this issue, and I want to share the wonderful work created by the artists who so kindly and generously joined the project. I am sharing just a single word from some of the lettered pieces to encourage you to get a copy of the print edition, so you can discover the sayings and the full lettering work featured inside.
As an interesting detail, I’d like to highlight that some artists had to create lettering in a language they didn’t know—quite a challenge, but also a stimulus for the imagination.
Although I am showcasing 23 designs here, a total of 38 pieces of lettering were submitted. Some artists created four sayings, others three or two, and the majority produced one. Eighteen people joined the Sursystem collective to bring you this collection of sayings, gathered in NYC through encounters with many immigrants.
Many thanks to everyone who joined this ephemeral collective, whose purpose is to showcase the cultural and linguistic diversity of NYC.
Enjoy!
Marcelo Arroyave
Fundador del Colectivo y Magazin Sursystem, Cali, Colombia 2004.







No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario
Recibimos todo tipo de comentarios, pero agradecemos que sean críticos y propositivos, ya que esto nos ayuda a mejorar y tener siempre los pies sobre la tierra.